Thursday 31 March 2016

The Story of Lucius Cane by Vanya Ferreira


Vanya Ferreira was born in South Africa and spent 5 years of his life in Australia. He has been reading since he can remember and has a passion for writing; he simply finds the syntactical nature of language to be a beautiful and mesmerizing creature. 

Apart from his short story collection, Vanya is also currently working on a full length psychological crime thriller that should be released before the end of the year.


Connect with the Author




About the Book


London, 1794. Lucius Cane, a peculiar vampire, comes upon an opponent the likes of which he has never seen before - a brute with remarkable abilities. But not all is as it seems as their encounter unfolds in a manner that neither of them expected.


Get it today on Amazon!


Keep reading for an interview with the author:


Why did you decide to be a writer?


I guess that I decided to be a writer when I noticed that I didn't fit in anywhere. I simply did not want to be part of the corporate machine where we slave away day after day just to survive. I wanted to break out of the wheel of conformity and writing allowed me to do this.

What genres do you write?


Horror, Paranormal, Psychological Crime Thriller and some Non-fiction

What authors/books have most influenced you?


I don't really know if they influenced me; perhaps they did. My favorite writers are Stephen King, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, Oscar Wilde, Christopher Paolini, Paulo Coelho and a myriad of others.

When did you first consider yourself an author?


I suppose that I considered myself an author when I published my first work. However, in many ways, considering yourself an author implies that you already got where you want to be. I think that, as a writer, it's important to know that it doesn't matter where you are or where you start, there is always room to improve so that you can become an established author.

What is the biggest obstacle you face as an author and what do you do to overcome it?


Lack of flow. Renowned psychologist Abraham Maslow first described psychological flow in 1964 as a predisposition to the peak experience. Even though I have once experienced the "peak experience", I use flow to write and sometimes its there while at other times it isn't.

Does your family support you in your writing, or are you on your own?


Yes, my family does support my writing. In fact, the person that got me to write is my wonderful life partner of two years, Snezana Rakic. The rest of my family, after seeing some of my work that hasn't been released to the public yet, agreed that I should be writing and have been supporting me ever since.


Have you ever had a particularly harsh critique? How did you handle it?


Indeed, I have. I think that any writer has to go through harsh critiques. There are some people that will love your story and there are others that will hate it but it doesn't mean that if you get rejected by a publisher or reviewer that you should give up. I handle it by taking what I can from it and moving on. If I can't take anything useful from it, I let it slide like water off a duck's back. To be a writer is to put yourself out there to be judged and I think you need a fairly thick skin for that. Believe in yourself and nothing else matters.


What made you decide to self-publish?


I felt that I needed to put myself out there to try and understand the market and to see where I stand as a writer. My main novel is an unfinished psychological crime thriller and the reasoning behind writing The Story of Lucius Cane is not only to get a break from my main novel but also as a learning experience to see what I am doing right and where I am making mistakes. Self-publishing is taking over and I think that it's important for people to see where the pros and cons of self-publishing lay.

What fears do you have about writing and being an indie author? How do you cope with your fears?


Fears? Oh, there are plenty - self doubt is the main culprit. Am I good enough as a writer? Is my story good enough to tell? Am I descriptive enough? Am I going to fail? etc. I get over it in the most paradoxical sense - I write. The only way you will ever find the answer to those questions is to write and if you fail, write again. I think the most important part of conquering your fears is to never give up.

How long does it take you to write a book?


It really depends on what's happening in my life at that particular moment, my mood, my level of inspiration, the amount of editing that I need to do. For a short story it can take anywhere from two weeks to two months and for a full length novel, six months to two years. There really isn't a steadfast timeline.


How do you come up with the titles for your books? Do you find it difficult?


No, on the contrary. Personally, names just kind of jump into my mind as I write and I think. It's very rare that I'll have to actually do research about a name.

Do you have any advice for other authors?


Yes! Never, ever, give up! If you believe you can do it, you can! You'll never be able to dream a dream that you couldn't make a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I hope you will show your support to these indie authors. Please leave a comment!