Saturday 3 October 2015

Out of Oblivion by Taren Reese Ocoda

Taren Reese Ocoda is actually a pen name I've decided to use for writing my sci-fi and erotic romance stories. I write fantasy under my real name and decided that I wanted to keep the two genres separate.

I live in Australia with my husband and daughter. I'm originally from America, but I moved out here a bit over ten years ago to be with my (now) husband. We met online and I came out here just for a visit so we could meet in person, and I've been here ever since. Ten years later we are still happily married, so we're living proof that it can work! :-D

We have two cats, named Padme and Anakin—you couldn't tell from that, that I'm a Star Wars fan—and two guinea pigs, named Sith and Prince.

I love to read fantasy mostly, but I've been reading more romance lately as a result of meeting some really good indie romance authors who turned me onto it. I'm very picky about what I read though. Anything I read has to have a great story with characters that feel real to me. Those are the stories that really draw me in.

They're also the kinds of stories I try (and hopefully succeed at) writing. I had some ideas for romance stories in mind, but for a long time I didn't think I had the skills to write one. I didn't want to do what everyone else was doing either. Now with the sci-fi romance genre out there, it's intrigued me enough to give it a try. So I really hope you enjoy!

Connect with the Author



About the Book


When Haleigh Lucas is dragged to a party with her best friend, Alexis Dalton, she is shocked to find it was not the kind of party she was expecting. Forced into a world she never knew existed, Haleigh is faced with a choice.

Dominic Hansen is gorgeous and witty. Haleigh likes him immediately, but he is a Dominant, and she is not interested in being controlled. Kurt McCray gives her the creeps at first sight, but as she gets to know him, she decides her first impression was wrong. Although he is also into BDSM, he avoids the topic when Haleigh makes it clear she is not interested.

Though Haleigh feels more attracted to Dominic, Kurt seems to be the easier choice. She learns the hard way, the easier choice is not necessarily the best choice. After more than a year of forced slavery at Kurt's hands, Dominic rescues her, but now Haleigh feels she can never love again. How will Dominic win her trust and her love?

Disclaimer: This is not a "girl falls in love with her abuser" kind of story and it does have a happily ever after kind of ending. However, there are elements of kidnap, abuse, rape, and forced slavery. Do not buy this book if these themes offend or upset you.

Buy the Book


Excerpt from Out of Oblivion


I hated parties. I always have. It's not that I wasn't a social person. I didn't like loud, crowded spaces that reeked of smoke and stale alcohol with drunk and high people running around like idiots. And, okay, I wasn't a social person. I didn't mind spending time with friends, but most of the time I was happiest on my own, in my quiet room with a good book. My best friend, Alexis Dalton, on the other hand, was a complete social butterfly.

"We're going to a party tonight," Alexis announced the minute I walked through our shared dorm room's door as she primped herself in front of a mirror.

She wore her black mini skirt, which she could pull off with her body, and a black lace top with nothing more than a black lace bra underneath. She completed the ensemble with her favorite fishnet stockings and black high heeled boots. Alexis was planning to get laid, which meant one of two things. She would leave the party in tears, in which case I would spend the night trying to console her. Or she would stay the night, in which case I'd be too worried to leave her. Either way, if I went, I wouldn't be getting much sleep that night.

I groaned. "What party?"

"You remember Jason Hansen?"

I fell onto my bunk and pulled the pillow over my face. After the day I had, all I wanted was a nap. "You mean the junior you're all hot and bothered over and don't shut up about? Yeah. How can I forget?"

Alexis yanked the pillow away, rolling her eyes. "Well, yeah. He invited me, and I think he might finally ask me out."

"You keep saying that every time you invite yourself to whatever party he's planning to be at," I said as I lifted myself onto my elbows.

"Yeah, but this time I didn't invite myself. He told me he likes me, but he can't date me until I understand something about him."

I narrowed my eyes. "That sounds a bit ominous. What? Is he a vampire or something?"

"You read too much," Alexis said, then laughed. "So will you go?"

"If you're going with Jason, why do you need me there? I'm not in a party mood."

Alexis sighed. "You're never in a party mood, and Jason won't be there until later. He has to work, but he said I can go early if I want so I can… explore."

She knew more about this party than she was telling me. What could there possibly be to explore? It was a party. I started to object. There was nothing I wanted less right now than to be near other people.

"Please, Haleigh. I don't want to go alone." She got down on her knees, her hands folded in front of her chest as though she was praying.

I sighed. She would not give up. "You know you're a pain, right?"

"The biggest pain in the world. Please, please, please?"

"Fine," I said. I didn't like her going to parties alone anyway. Trouble seemed to follow her. "I'll go."

She jumped up and wrapped her arms around me. "Thank you, thank you, thank you. You won't regret it."

My gut told me I would.

"Okay, get dressed. We have to leave soon."

"I am dressed."

"Jeans and t-shirt is not dressed, Haleigh," Alexis scolded.

"It's just a party, right?"

She sighed. "Fine. Wear that. You might be the most covered person there. That won't draw attention."

She was trying to bait me into dressing up, but it wouldn't work. People ignored me at parties because I didn't dress up. It kept me safe. Well, until they were too drunk to care anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I hope you will show your support to these indie authors. Please leave a comment!